People tend to love this recipe as it puts a new twist on a common stir fry by adding the scallops.
Continue reading for the recipe.
Seared sea scallops with Asian influence and stir fry vegetables
1-1/2 pounds Sea Scallops
Peanut or vegetable oil
1-1/2 tablespoon Garlic (minced)
1-1/2 tablespoon Ginger (minced)
1/2 Red pepper (julienne)
1/2 Green pepper (julienne)
1/2 Yellow pepper (julienne)
1/2 pound Mushrooms (quartered)
3 ounces Celery (sliced on bias 3″ length)
2 ounces Snow peas (cut in half)
1/2 Zucchini (seeded and sliced)
1/2 White onion (julienne)
1 tablespoon Hot bean paste
1/2 cup Fish/chicken stock
4 tablespoons Soy sauce
2 Scallions (thin sliced)
1/2 container White sesame seeds (toasted)
1. You will want to have all ingredients chopped, sliced, measured, and otherwise ready before beginning to cook this dish as you will not have time to do this while cooking. The red, green, and yellow peppers can be mixed together as they will be added at the same time during the cooking process. The onions and celery can also be mixed together as well.
2. Marinate the scallops in 1 ounce sesame and 1 ounce peanut oil and refrigerate until cooked.
3. Mix the ginger and garlic together and set aside.
4. Allow wok, saute pan, or skillet pre-heat over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon spoon of peanut or vegetable oil. Allow oil to heat. To hot oil, add the ginger and garlic mixture. Stir for 60 seconds or so but do not let the garlic turn brown.
*5. Add the celery and onion and cook until the onions begin to become translucent. Add the zucchini, stir and let cook for 1 minute. Next add the peppers, stir and let cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, stir and let cook until the mushrooms begin to brown and become tender. Finally add the snow peas, stir and let cook for 1 minute.
6. Stir in the hot bean paste and stock. Add in the soy sauce. More or less can be used to suit your taste. To thicken, add a slurry slowly and a little at a time until the desired thickness is reached. Here is a great article on making a slurry.
7. While the sauce in the stir-fry is cooking down, heat a flat saute pan over medium high heat. Sear the scallops on until a golden color is reached on both sides. A medium doneness is the goal. Here is a great article on cooking scallops.
8. Plate with vegetables at the bottom and 6 scallops placed on top. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
*Starts with the products that tend to take the longest to cook hitting the pan first.